Neurology is the medical speciality that involves the study, diagnosis and treatment of all the ailments and conditions related to the nervous system. This includes under its ambit the fields of brain care, brain tumour surgery and spine care. S.L Raheja (A Fortis Associate) is regarded as one of the best neurology hospitals in Mumbai thanks in part to its talented pool of specialists and experts who are proficient in all the aspects of neuro care.
The Department of Neurology routinely performs complex surgeries and treatments and offers consultation and inpatient services for all neuro and spine care, ranging from the simple conditions to the most complicated and serious disorders. They are:
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- Pediatric neurological disorders including mental retardation and behavioural disorders
- Nerve and spinal tumours
- Stroke Medicine
- Spinal Care
- Neuro-intensive care
- Neuro Physiotherapy
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Neuro intervention
- Movement disorders such as Parkinson’s
- Brain surgery
- Degenerative spinal disorders
Neurological Medical Procedures
- Electroencephalogram (EEG): A test that detects electrical activity in the brain using small electrodes attached to the scalp.
- Electromyography: This diagnosis is performed to ascertain the health of the muscles and the motor neurons, which are cells that control the muscles.
- Lumbar Puncture: In this process, a needle is inserted between two vertebrae to extract a sample of the cerebrospinal fluid. It is performed to diagnose serious infections such as meningitis and other disorders of the central nervous system. This procedure is also known as Spinal Tap.
- Radiofrequency Neurotomy: This is done to provide relief from the back and neck pain by using the heat generated by radio waves to target specific nerves and temporarily interfere with their ability
to transmit pain signals.
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS): It is a procedure that uses magnetic fields to stimulate nerve cells in the brain to alleviate the symptoms of depression.
- Brain Aneurysm Surgery: It is performed to rectify a weak area in the wall of a blood vessel that causes the vessel to bulge and sometimes rupture.
- Diskectomy: A surgical procedure to remove the damaged portion of a herniated disk in the spine.
- Gamma Knife Radiosurgery: It is a type of radiation therapy to treat tumors and other abnormalities in the brain. The advantage of this type of operation is that it minimizes the damage to the surrounding healthy cells.
- Laminectomy: It is a decompression surgery which involves removing the lamina, i.e. the back part of the vertebrae for the purpose of relieving the pressure on the spinal cord or the nerves.
- Spinal Fusion: This surgery is performed to eliminate the movement between two vertebrae by permanently connecting them together.
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation: It uses electrical impulses to stimulate the vagus nerve, in order to treat epilepsy when all the other treatment methods have failed.
Techniques, Technology and Infrastructure
S.L Raheja (A Fortis Associate) endeavours to be at the forefront of the fight against the numerous neurological conditions plaguing a significant portion of the population today. With radical, cutting-edge techniques and world-class infrastructure, our neurosurgeons provide an all-inclusive array of neurological and neurosurgical services to the general public:
- 3 Tesla MRI
- 128 Slice CT Scan
- Neuro Navigation System
- Minimally Invasive Surgical techniques
- Endoscopic and micro-surgical procedures
The Department of Neurosciences is among the Centres of Excellence of S.L Raheja Hospital, with a dedicated pool of skilled neurologists bringing superlative neurology treatment in Mumbai whilst adhering to international standards of healthcare. Our emphasis on providing quality medical and healthcare services has contributed in no small part to the growth of medical tourism in India.