SL Raheja Hospital is located in the suburb of Mahim in Mumbai It is associated with Fortis Hospitals and has established a high standard of healthcare services and medical facilities since its inception. We are one of the best multispecialty hospitals in Mumbai
S.L. Raheja Hospital (A Fortis Associate) Raheja Rugnalaya Marg, Mahim (W), Mumbai, Maharashtra - 400016, India.
Emergency No- 022-66529888
What If You Have Mild Congestive Heart Failure?
Mild congestive heart failure is a pretty common cause of distress among Indians and is more commonly seen in people above the age of 65 years. It can result in the need for hospitalization if the problem remains unattended and aggravates. However, there is no need to panic when you promptly take action and reach out to Raheja Hospital, the best centre for cardiac treatment in Mumbai.
Understanding the prognosis of mild congestive heart failure
As a person gets old his or her chances of experiencing diastolic heart failure or systolic heart failure or even midrange ejection fraction can go up. Now, in case of hospitalization, the prognosis is generally poor. There are numerous variables involved as far asprognosis is concerned among patients with mild congestive heart failure. There are several stages of congestive heart failure. But in case the patient needs to be hospitalized, it necessarily means that the problem is grave. In such a situation, the physician will be more serious and aggressive regarding the treatment.
As discussed above, there are many stages of congestive heart failure. At least 50% of patients who have been diagnosed with heart failure show relatively weaker heart function.
Now, you may ask how heart function is measured.
Well, the procedure is quite easy. The patient gets an echocardiogram report of his or her heart, and then simple mathematics is applied - blood pumped with each contraction divided by the total amount of blood in the left ventricle. Patients who have slightly weaker pump function, which is also called mild systolic dysfunction can have an ejection fraction ranging between 40 to 49%, which is heart failure with mid-range ejection fraction. To know better, you can get yourself checked at the top cardiac care hospitals in Maharashtra. However, speaking of the treatment, the basic thing to know first is the symptoms:
1. The patient can gain weight and see water retention in the body
2. Shortness of breath and unable to perform rigorous exercise
3. In some patients, swelling of legs is pretty common
4. Racing of heart
There is no such full-proof treatment that can bring down the morbidity and mortality rate. But these symptoms can be tackled if the patient treats his or her comorbidities like hypertension, coronary artery disease, and atrial fibrillation. According to the best centre for cardiac treatment in Mahim, you can take the following steps to take care of the mild congestive heart failure.
1. Hypertension certainly causes great damage to the heart, so taking Beta-blocker medication is a must to fortify the pumping of the heart muscles.
2. Aldosterone antagonist is needed in case a vasodilator medicine (ACE-I, ARB or angiotensin receptor/neprilysin inhibitor combination) and beta-blocker are unable to make your symptoms milder.
3. Talk to your physician and get medications that will bring down your heart rate if it is faster than 70 beats per minute and you have prominent symptoms.
4. A diuretic is prescribed in case the symptoms persist.
5. Restricting sodium intake. Get your daily limit checked and do not exceed.
6. Weigh yourself and if you gain weight abnormally report it to your doctor.
7. Cardiac resynchronization therapy (biventricular pacemaker) in case it is needed.
8. Implantable cardiac defibrillator (ICD) therapy, in case it is needed.
9. Mild exercise regularly (mainly cardio).
10. No alcohol, no smoking, or any sort of substance abuse whatsoever.
If you live anywhere near Mahim, you will get the assistance of top cardiologists at the Raheja Hospital which is considered one of the top cardiac care hospitals in Mahim. Always consult your physician before starting your medical therapy and start living a happy and healthy life.