SL Raheja Hospital is located in the suburb of Mahim in Mumbai It is associated with Fortis Hospitals and has established a high standard of healthcare services and medical facilities since its inception. We are one of the best multispecialty hospitals in Mumbai
S.L. Raheja Hospital (A Fortis Associate) Raheja Rugnalaya Marg, Mahim (W), Mumbai, Maharashtra - 400016, India.
Emergency No- 022-66529888
Neurosurgery is a specialty that deals with the treatment and diagnosis of injuries or disorders connected to the brain, peripheral nerves in any portion of the body, spinal cord, or the spinal column. Doctors at the best Neurosurgery Treatment Hospital in Mahim treat everything from simple neck or back pain to serious illnesses like Parkinson’s disease or conditions like head concussion. Any discomfort, pain or disturbance in the head and spinal area can become stressful and affect daily activities. A neurosurgeon provides patients with prevention, diagnosis, evaluation followed by treatment, critical care, and rehabilitation of neurological issues. They work with patients of all age groups from newborn babies to elderly people.
Recently, neurosurgeons are using minimally-invasive procedures with surgical microscopes or endoscopes replacing open surgical methods and getting good results.
Five types of neurosurgeries usually performed
Several types of neurosurgeries are performed daily, of which these are the five common types:
1. Craniotomy: It is a procedure done to surgically remove a part of the skull bone for exposing the brain. It requires the use of specialized tools to remove the bone section called a bone flap. The flap is removed temporarily and later replaced after the surgery is done. Sometimes, computer guidance, MRI, or CT scans may be used to access the precise location for treatment.
A Craniotomy may be performed for any of these reasons:
-Repairing or clipping an aneurysm
-To diagnose, treat, or remove brain tumors
-To repair a skull fracture
-To relieve intracranial pressure within the brain
-For treating epilepsy
2. Stereotactic radiosurgery: It is a surgery performed to arrest the growth of tumors by changing their biology and preventing their proliferation. The technique is used to deliver high radiation doses to a tumor. It is suitable for small tumors only as radio surgical treatment for large tumors could expose normal tissue to high radiation. It is also not preferred for a tumor that is close to or touches a vital sensitive structure.
Stereotactic radiosurgery could be indicated for the following conditions:
3. Neuroendoscopy: The best Neurosurgery Treatment Hospital in Mahim performs neuroendoscopy procedures, which are specialized techniques allowing surgeons to conduct minimally invasive surgeries and procedures. The advantage of this technique is that it avoids causing damage to neighboring tissues. It uses special endoscopes together with high-resolution video cameras for treating tumors that are deeply located in the brain or base of skull
Neuroendoscopy is used to treat diseases like:
-Degenerative spine disease
-Skull base tumors
4. Ventricular shunt: By this procedure, extra CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) is drained from the brain. The VP (Ventriculoperitoneal) stunt is placed into the head, and it drains out the fluid from the brain and is moved into the abdomen to be absorbed. This helps to lower the pressure and swelling in the brain.
A Ventricular shunt is mainly used to treat:
5. Peripheral Nerve Surgery: This refers to the procedure that involves the nerves outside the CNS (Central Nervous System), which consists of the brain and the spinal cord. It is performed to reduce pain or disability, and enhance the function in people suffering from peripheral nerve ailments. The technique comprises rerouting healthy nerves to replace the nerves affected by disease or injury.
Peripheral Nerve Surgery is used to treat:
-Brachial plexus injury
-Traumatic nerve injury
-Carpal tunnel syndrome
-Ulnar nerve neuropathy
If you are troubled by any neurological ailment, you need to get evaluated at Raheja Hospital, which is known to be one of the best Neurosurgery Treatment Hospitals in Mahim. The multispecialty hospital has an experienced team of neurosurgeons who have performed several complex surgeries and treatments on patients over several years. The hospital provides the best treatment with a high success rate for disorders ranging from minor headaches to severe ones like brain tumors.